MORE 2017 - Know me!
Tomorrow, May 4th, marks the 28th annual running of the Marathon of Respect and Equality (MORE). Each year, the schools and communities of Pictou County gather together to show their support for the elimination of racial discrimination. The sub-theme for this year's run is "Know Me! Walk with me. See through my eyes. Feel what my heart feels." The goal is to focus on the need for empathy for all members of society, particularly for all those who are marginalized, regardless of the reason for that marginalization.
The schedule for the day is as follows:
- 8:10 am- Run leaves Pictou Tourist Bureau and travels north toward Pictou along West River Road, then Water Street to Rally at Town Square
- 8:25 am- Run arrives at Pictou Rally in Town Square.
- 8:40 am- Run departs rally, travels along Water Street, then left on Coleraine Street, then left on Church Street and returns to Tourist Bureau.
- 8:55 am- All Core Runners board bus to travel to Up-River Towns section of Run.
- 9:15 am- Bus arrives at Walter Duggan Elementary School in Westville for Westville Rally.
- 9:35 am- Run departs Westville Rally and proceeds down Spring Garden Road to Main Street, then south on Main Street to Drummond Road/Acadia Avenue toward Town of Stellarton.
- 10:30 am- Run arrives at Stellarton Rally at NSCC Campus on Acadia Avenue.
- 10:55 am- Run departs Stellarton Rally and travels along Acadia Avenue, turns left onto Foord Street and continues on Foord/Stellarton Road toward Town of New Glasgow (Route toward New Glasgow Rally at New Glasgow Academy is Stellarton Road to George Street, George Street to Riverside Parkway, Riverside Parkway to MacLean Street, MacLean Street to Albert Street, Albert Street to New Glasgow Academy).
- 11:40 am- Run arrives at New Glasgow Rally at New Glasgow Academy.
- 12:00 pm- Core Runners board bus to travel to Pictou Landing section of Run.
- 12:25 pm- Bus arrives at sharp turn in Pictou Landing; Run travels along Pictou Landing Road toward Pictou Landing First Nation.
- 12:45 pm- Run arrives at Pictou Landing Rally.
- 1:10 pm- Core Runners depart Pictou Landing First Nation by bus and travel toward Town of Trenton and last section of Run
- 1:35 pm- Runners get off bus at Superior Propane driveway and travel along Pictou Landing Road/Main Street, then left onto Duke to arrive at Trenton Rally at Trenton Elementary School at 1:45 pm
- 2:00 pm- Run departs Trenton Rally and travels to Main Street, then south along Main Street toward New Glasgow. Run continues along Trenton Road to Provost Street and travels toward East River Road.
- 2:30 pm- Run turns left onto Marsh Street and stops at church parking lot on Marsh Street for drink/snack (time permitting).
- 2:40 pm- Run continues east on Marsh Street, travels Marsh Street to Vale Road, bears right to Vale Road, travels Vale Road to Park Street, turns right to Park Street and travels toward North Nova Education Centre.
- 3:05 pm- Run ends at NNEC Rally in Gym