How does the decision to cancel school get made?
When it is stormy or road conditions are poor, Chignecto-Central Regional School Board Transportation Services staff starts the day before 6:00 a.m. by:
- Reviewing weather forecasts from different sources, for various areas within the four families of schools.
- Talking with the local Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal depots.
- Talking with bus drivers from various communities throughout the region.
- Driving on sections of roads.
Based on the forecast, and actual weather and road conditions in each area, the school board has the following choices:
- Maintain bus and school operations as usual.
- Maintain bus services on paved roads only, or cancel bus services.
- Close schools.
As the school board region is large, separate cancellation and closure decisions are made for each of the four families of schools.
Once a decision to cancel school or change bus service is made, it is announced on the radio, the green "All Schools Open" button on this website turns red (for closure) or yellow (for changes to busing, etc.), and information is posted to our Twitter feed and our Facebook page.
Decisions to keep schools open, to close them or to alter bus service are always made with the safety of students and staff in mind.